3 to 4 servings
What is Achari Paneer Recipe?
Are you fond of pickles and want to add paneer to this combo? If so, then Achari Paneer or achari paneer tikka is the best dish for you. This is a tantalizing and spicy paneer curry with a pickle taste which will be a heaven for your taste buds. It can be served with roti, rice, paratha or naan. This dish also goes very well with hot-hot Jeera Rice and Ghee Rice.
This dish uses many ingredients and spices, which are used to make a typical Indian Pickle – Achaar. Hence this dish is called Achari.
Follow the below recipe to make the mouth-watering achari paneer tikka by following the recipe.
- Ingredients for Achari Masala
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 red chillies
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp mustard
Pinch methi seeds
- Other ingredients
⅓ to ½ cup tomatoes chopped
⅓ to ½ cup green capsicum
1½ tbsp mustard oil
1 to 1½ tbsp oil
½ tsp kalonji or onion seeds
⅛ tsp asafoetida
½ cup onions finely chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
⅛ tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp sugar
⅓ cup fresh curd
¾ cup water
200 grams cubed paneer
Handful coriander leaves
Shredded ginger little (optional )
Lemon Juice (optional)
- Start by making a fine powder of red chillies, coriander seeds, fennel, cumin, mustard and methi seeds. Put it in a jar and set it aside.
- Puree the tomatoes and capsicums and set them aside.
- How to make Achari Paneer?
- Start by making the Achari Paneer Masala. Heat oil in a pan and add Kalonji seeds. When the seeds splutter, add the hing and add finely chopped onions. Saute it until it turns golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute it until the raw smell goes away, add the achari spice powder, and lower the flame.
- When a pleasant aroma comes out, pour into the pan the tomato capsicum puree.
- When the mixture turns thick, add in the red chilli powder, turmeric, salt and sugar.
- Mix and fry the masala in low flame for 2 mins. Once it turns brown, add half a cup of the curd to the pan and mix well. Add the other half of the curd and mix well.
- Pour water and make it into the gravy.
- Now to make the Achari Paneer gravy. Cover the pan and cook. Mix well and now add the paneer into it.
- Mix the mixture and cover the pan and let it cook.
- Add coriander leaves and turn off the flame.
- And your tasty spicy Achari Paneer is ready to serve.
You can serve it along with steamed rice or with roti as an accompaniment or as an appetiser for a difference. You can also wrap it in a roti as a filling and enjoy it.
TinyTips to make the dish to a top-notch level
- If you are using frozen paneer cubes, soak them in hot water to soften them and then use them for the dish.
- Don’t use large quantities of fenugreek seeds and other spices as they may lead to bitterness in the curry.
- Add fresh cream in the last step to make the texture of the curry more creamy.
Achari Paneer is a delicious and easy making north Indian dish. You can also add your favourite spices in the paneer achari recipe and spice up the dish. Try making this gravy by replacing paneer with potatoes and green peas; it tastes amazing. You can also make achari paneer without onion garlic. Serve this dish hot along with hot buttery naan or rotis to your guests and relatives and have them experience the magic of your hands.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I add nuts to the recipe?
Yes! You can add nuts like cashews, almonds or peanuts to the dish. It gives an amazing texture to the dish. But if you are a nut allergy, then feel free to swap to sunflower seeds.
- Can I make Achari Paneer ahead of time?
It isn’t recommended as the gravy tastes the best when served hot and as soon as it is made. On refrigeration, the yoghurt taste might change, which in turn will affect the taste of the dish. Also, reheating the paneer cubes will result in losing their softness.