What is Aloo Methi?
Aloo Methi or methi potato is an outstanding dish in India made with potatoes and tasty fenugreek leaves (also called methi leaves). It’s a simple aloo methi recipe that consists of a couple of ingredients. And it’s your choice to use either butter or any good vegetable oil. It is also known as aloo methi sabji. Typically, you can make the aloo methi recipe in two ways: making aloo methi sabji with onions and garlic. The second way is the Punjabi version which is the easiest and simplified way to make aloo methi recipe.
Methi (3-4 cups)
Baking soda or vinegar
Butter or oil
chopped green chillies
Asafetida or garlic paste
Red chilli powder instead of green chilies (Optional)
How to clean Methi?
Method 1: Only remove methi leaves from the stem. Wrap the leaves in a paper or a box and put them into the refrigerator. Before chopping rinse the leaves until it becomes totally clean.
Method 2: Saturate the leaves in a bowl of water for some time and add baking soda or vinegar, which helps remove pesticides from the leaves.
- Step 1: Preparation of leaves
- Pull out the leaves from the trunk of the fenugreek leaves. This requires some time, and it’s good to prepare a large chunk of leaves which could be kept in the refrigerator for about one week and could be used whenever you want to make it.
- After doing this, take a large bowl and rinse the leaves in cold water. Firstly saturate the leaves in water for some time. For removing pesticides from the leaves, add baking soda and vinegar into the water. Now thoroughly remove the water with your hands so that any mud would get washed off, if any. After draining all the water from the bowl, soak the leaves in fresh water for some time. Do this process once or twice and drain all the water.
- Chop the leaves by using a knife or any food processor. Just chop the leaves while using a food processor, and don’t turn them into a paste. You will require around 3 to 4 cups of methi leaves.
- Step 2: Preparation of potatoes
- You can prepare sabji either by using regular potatoes or baby potatoes
- Now chop 3 to 4 potatoes after washing and peeling them into small pieces (cubes or squares).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter or oil in a large Kadai or pan over medium flame and then add chopped potatoes.
- Now the potatoes until they look crispy and lightly golden.
- Add one tablespoon of chopped green chillies and a pinch of asafetida. You can also use red chilli powder instead of green chilies and paste garlic cloves instead of asafetida to make an aloo methi gravy recipe or even go for an aloo methi curry recipe.
- Step 3: Preparation of dry aloo methi curry recipe
- Add fenugreek leaves and mix them very well.
- Now add salt to taste.
- Now mix it well and let it cook for few minutes without covering it over a medium flame.
- Reduce the flame when methi starts producing water and cook it over a low flame for about 6 to 7 minutes.
- The water should be fully evaporated, and the fenugreek leaves will shrivel up. Stir for few more minutes so that aloo methi gets completely dry.
After cooking, you can enjoy aloo methi dry sabji with roti, paratha or a combination of rice and dal. You can also have yoghurt with this. You can also pack Aloo methi or aloo methi fry easily in tiffin with paratha or roti.
- Which potatoes could be used to make the aloo methi recipe?
You can use baby potatoes, new potatoes, and skinned potatoes while making the aloo methi recipe.
- Which oil can be used instead of mustard oil?
You can use butter or ghee, or any flavoured oil. Don’t use olive oil.
- Can more potatoes be added?
Yes, you can increase the quantity of aloo or methi in the recipe.
- Is this recipe healthy?
Yes, Aloo Methi consists of vitamins and nutrients.