If you are an Indian, you must be obsessed with dal fry in your food. Growing up in an Indian family definitely teaches you different varieties of dal fries. Dal fry is a delicacy from northern India. It is made with lentils. Generally, the name of lentil used for preparing dal fry is called “tur dal” in Hindi and “pigeon pea lentils” in English. Chana dal, moong dal, and even mixed lentils are different substitutes for tur dal. Dal fries are even super healthy and can be taken during weight loss or diet. These are rich in proteins, vitamins, and carbohydrates. The calories in one serving of dal fry give about 245 calories(calories include each of the ingredients). Dal fry is one of the most delicious curries and can be cooked easily in no time. The fewer dal fry calories make it suitable for your lunch and dinner. It is generally eaten with naan, chapatis, or rice. It can be made in different styles. Learn to make a delicious Dal fry with the help of onions and tomatoes with a little bit of garnishing with red chilli powder and coriander leaves.
- With these essential dal fry ingredients, you can prepare a tasty and delicious dal fry at your home with simple and easy steps. For preparing Dal fry, you will need:
1/2 cup tur dal/ moong dal/mixed dal, according to your wish.
Finely chopped onions
Finely chopped tomatoes
4-5 Green chilli
1/2 tsp garlic paste
5-6 Curry leaves
1 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Garam masala
Salt as per taste
Learn how to make dal fry
- If you want to know how to make dal fry at home, follow the steps listed below and prepare it at ease. Let’s try this super delicious dal fry recipe:
- The very first step while preparing dal fry is washing the lentils 2-3 times. If you are preparing the dal in a pot, then pour 2 and a half cups of water. Pressure cook the dal until the lentils become soft. Then mash the dal and keep it in a bowl.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely and keep them aside. Also, Slit the green chillies if you want your dal spicy. You can also add curry leaves to enhance the taste.
- After cutting the vegetables, take a pan and heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds to the pan. Once it starts spattering, add some cumin seeds and let them cook for 5 to 10 seconds. Then add the onions, curry leaves, green chillies, and garlic paste and fry it until the onions turn light brown. Let it cook for 1 more minute.
- After the onions are fried, add tomatoes and fry them for 3-4 more minutes until they become soft. Add the turmeric powder and salt according to the taste. You can also add garam masala to cook out the best dal fry recipe.
- Add the cooked dal to the fried vegetables and mix it well. According to the required consistency, add water and then simmer it for 5 minutes till the dal boils.
- To get a dal fry Dhaba style, garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- For dal fry restaurant-style, follow the same process as above and at last add some Makhan (butter), then serve it in a fancy bowl to make it more eye-pleasing.
The above recipe is the best and easy dal fry recipe that you can try at your home.
You can serve the below things with dal fry:
You can serve your dal fry with many options like mentioned below:
- Naan: The oven-made flatbread made from all-purpose flour can be served with the dal fry. The best alternative for Rotis in Indian households gives a real nice taste when eaten with the best dal fry.
- Rice: You can serve the dal fry with plain rice as well as jeera rice. You can use ghee instead of oil to make the jeera rice. It will enhance the taste.
- Roti: Dal fry and roti is a very common yet delicious combination. Soft roti tastes more mouth-watering with hot dal.
How to make dal fry like a pro?
You can also try few tricks that can make your dal fry even more, tastier and healthy, like:
1. Using ghee instead of oil will make the dal fry yummier. You can also use mustard oil or coconut oil according to your preference.
2. Adding coriander leaves will enhance the taste of your dal fry. Garnish the leaves while serving the dal. You can also add Makhan (butter) as toppings.
FAQs about dal fry:
Which dal is used to prepare dal fry?
You can use tur dal(pigeon pea lentils), moong dal(yellow mung lentils ), masoor dal (orange lentils), or mixed dal to make dal fry tadka.
How is it beneficial for health?
Dal’s are rich in proteins, magnesium, calcium. Lentils like masoor dal promote clear skin and many more benefits.
How to alter consistency?
You can easily change the consistency of dal fry with the help of water. You can add less water for a thicker dal and vice versa.
How to make dal fry Dhaba style?
You can add some flavoured spices or cream to give your dal a Dhaba-like taste.
Every meal is incomplete without any dal in the Thali. It is a famous north Indian curry that can easily be prepared at home and within no time. From aroma to taste and health, nothing can match the delicious dal fry recipes. With varieties of Dals available in the market, there are different types of recipes and even colours that are available. Dal fry can even be eaten during your weight loss journey. Follow the procedure to make your dal fry tastier, and do not forget to savour the taste. You can even follow the dal fry recipe video for a live experience.