People love relishing rich, creamy, gravy-based dishes that are enjoyed as main meals. One of the recipes that are quite popular among Indians, especially North Indians, is Dum aloo. The dum aloo recipe may differ from state to state, but the underlying flavour is the same. Whether it is a special occasion or a wish to cook something delectable, Kashmiri dum aloo is the best choice available. Dum aloo is also perfect for a party or get-together menu. Its creamy texture infused with an assortment of spices seems to tingle the taste buds.
In Indian cuisines, many dishes are made with “dum” or “pressure cooked.” Earlier, dishes like the dum aloo were made in earthen pots with dough, keeping the lid intact. These days, instant pot or stove pot dum aloo are more popular. Slow-cooked dishes have a fantastic taste and flavour. Kashmiri dum aloo is also made similarly.
Cuisine and Course
Indian Main Dish, Lunch or Dinner
Baby potatoes- 20-22
Water- 3-3.5 cups
Salt- ¼ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- 3 tsp (mixed in water)
Ginger Powder- ½ tsp
Shah Jeera or Caraway seeds- 1 tsp
Fennel Powder- 1 tbsp
Black peppers- 4-5
Green cardamom (optional)- 1
Fresh fat curd- 6 tbsp
Mustard Oil- ¾ cup
Salt- As per Taste
Coriander leaves- For garnishing
Dum aloo is not too tough to make. You can enjoy this vegetarian dish as the main meal with roti, rice, parathas, naan, etc. Before starting with the Punjabi dum aloo recipe, it is imperative to line up all the ingredients required for cooking. Since dum aloo masala needs a lot of spices, ensure all are handy when cooking this dish. You can make this recipe with variations. It is also possible to cook dum aloo dry and dum aloo gravy, depending on your taste. Follow the method given below-
- Wash the baby potatoes well, and pressure cook them until they are half-cooked.
- Drain them and allow them to cool down.
- Peel the potatoes and use a toothpick to poke holes all over them. It allows spices to get absorbed well.
- Take yoghurt and whisk it until creamy.
- Mix all spices into it. Add Kashmiri Lal Mirch solution made in water also into it.
- Take a pan and heat oil.
- As the oil starts making smoke, add peeled potatoes to it and fry them until golden brown.
- Place them on kitchen paper towels so that excess oil gets absorbed.
- Remove excess oil from the pan until only two tbsp oil is left, and add a pinch of asafoetida into it.
- Add red chilli and water solution to it and stir it continuously.
- Add the curd and whisk it continuously so that the curd does not split.
- Keep stirring and mixing well. The oil will separate and will be seen on the periphery.
- Add remaining dum aloo ingredients.
- Add potatoes and stir well.
- Add salt and a little water to the mix.
- Cover it with a lid and allow it to cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Keep the flame low to medium.
- Allow the gravy to become thick in consistency.
- If you wish to prepare a gravy version, add water according to the gravy you desire.
- Sprinkle some caraway seeds and coriander leaves on the top and serve it with hot chapatis, pooris, parathas, or pulao.
Check out the dum aloo video to understand the method. Dum aloo video details every step for better understanding. It is an easy recipe that even beginners could try. Follow this dum aloo gravy recipe and enjoy its excellent creamy taste. People of all ages love this dum aloo curry. This dum aloo curry recipe is very easy to follow.
This simple aloo dum recipe is a nice addition to your menu when having special guests over at your place. Follow the best dum aloo recipe for the rich, authentic flavour and enjoy with your loved ones.