What is Egg curry?
Are you looking for a dish that can complement your bowl of rice, chapatis, or parathas and is completely satisfying and fulfilling your meal? Well, then Egg Curry or as many people call it, egg gravy can be the perfect solution for this.
This anda curry is loaded with spices, and a tangy taste of tomato and onion will indeed taste exactly like the one you get in dhabas -The typical Anda Curry. It is the ultimate comfort food. You can enjoy this dish with roti or with rice. There are multiple ways to prepare it. Here we have shared the most common and popular one of making anda curry recipe with you.
So now let’s dive into the amazing world of making the lip-smacking dhaba style Egg Curry by following this anda curry recipe or egg masala recipe:
Cuisine and Course
Punjabi; Lunch/ Dinner
- Main ingredients
Boiled Eggs (4)
2 medium-size Onions grated (120gms)
Tomato puree of 2 tomatoes (120gms)
Ginger Garlic paste
Oil (3 tablespoons)
Salt (1/2 tablespoon)
Chilli powder (1.5 tablespoons)
Coriander powder (1.5 tablespoons)
Garam masala (1/2 tablespoon)
Turmeric powder (1/2 tablespoon)
3 Red chillies
3 green chillies
Roughly chopped Coriander leaves
Bay leaf (1-2)
- For Garnishing (optional)
Roughly chopped Coriander leaves
- How to prepare Anda Curry?
- Boil the eggs in low flame for about 20 minutes. Once boiled, remove the shell of the egg. Either use a toothpick/knife/fork to prick the boiled eggs slightly.
- Take a non-stick pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, and fry the eggs until they turn golden. Turn off the stove and keep them aside. You can even add a pinch of garam masala and red chilli powder if you prefer them to be spicy.
- Next step would be to chop the tomatoes and blend them to get a fine tomato puree.
- How to cook Egg Curry?
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a pan or kadhai. You can even use the oil which that was used for frying the eggs. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, green cardamom, cumin seeds, cloves in hot oil and let it fry for 30-35 seconds.
- After the spices start to sizzle, add the finely chopped onion. Saute them until the rawness of the onion completely goes away, and it turns golden brown.
- Then, after adding 1 tablespoon of fresh paste of ginger garlic and let it saute until the rawness in it goes away.
- Add the previous tomato puree, and let it fry until the paste turns into a thick mixture.
- After the tomato puree is sauteed, add the dry spices such as 1 tablespoon of red chilli powder, ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder,1/2 tablespoon of garam masala, 1 tablespoon of salt. You can even change the proportion of the dry spices according to your preference.
- Let the mixture fry for about 4-5 minutes until the oil begins to separate, and it starts smelling good.
- Pour about 2 cups of water into the gravy and let it boil for 5-6 minutes until it thickens.
- You can even add fresh cream into the gravy to get the authentic touch of Punjabi style egg curry.
- Once the gravy turns thick, add the fried eggs and give it a gentle stir. Cover it with a lid and cook for about 3-4 minutes on low flame. Optionally you can even add crushed Kasuri methi and Coriander leaves to give additional flavour to your curry. You can also add chilli pepper for the spicy egg curry recipe.
- How to serve Egg Curry?
- Garnish the dish with some roughly chopped coriander leaves along with chopped onions, cucumbers and lemon at the side.
- Serve the egg curry with some piping hot bowl of rice, chapatis or rotis.
- Your Anda Curry is now ready to be served!
TinyTips to make Anda Curry like a pro
- If you are worried about the eggs cracking up while boiling, add a few outer layers of onion petals to it so that the shell does not crack up.
- While cooking onion, add in a pinch of salt. This helps to sweat the onion and cooks it up faster.
- If you are worried about spices getting burnt after adding them to the pan, mix them in ¼ cup water and make a paste. Add it to the pan, and then let it fry.
- You can even fry the dry spices in ghee to give an elegant touch, as frying the spices in ghee enhance the taste of the spices.
Now get the taste of and curry home cooking by making various easy and curry recipes such as egg masala gravy, egg sabji, spicy egg curry, special egg curry, egg dry masala etc. Serve this dish with rice, roti or parathas, which complements and enjoy this meal with your loved ones.
1. My egg curry has become too salty. What should I do?
Add in atleast 5-6 tablespoons of tomato puree and let it boil for 2-3 minutes to balance out the saltiness.
2. Is there any other alternative available other than fresh cream?
Yes, you can soak 10-15 cashews for about 1-2 hours and get a paste out of it. This will give the same taste which the fresh cream provides.
3. Is there any other alternative instead of using chopped onion?
Yes, you can get a fine puree even of onion and saute it until it gets golden.