30 to 40 minutes
Ghee rice is a traditional and aromatic rice dish cooked with ghee, whole spices, onions, cashews, and raisins. It comes together in a single pot, is kid-approved, and is the ideal side dish for almost any meal. Forget about plain rice and create this ghee rice in a cooker, standard pot, or an instant pot for a simple meal at any time. Here, you can find how to make simple ghee rice in an Indian cooker.
Follow this ghee rice recipe to make this delicious dish.
How to make Ghee Rice?
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Ghee or Clarified Butter – 2 tablespoon
Onion (thinly sliced) – 1 (medium-sized) – optional
Water for Indian cooker – 1¾ cups (2 cups for normal pot, 1¼ cup for Instant pot)
Green Chilies (slit or chopped) – 1
Salt (as per taste) – ½ teaspoon
Cashewnuts (Kaju) – 14 pcs
Raisins – 14 pcs
Cinnamon (Dalchini) – 2 inch
Cloves (Laung) – 4 pcs
Green Cardamoms (Elaichi) – 3 to 4 pcs
Mace (Javitri) – 1 strand
Star Anise (Chakri Phool) – 1
Bay Leaf (Tej Patta) – 1
- How to prepare Ghee Rice?
- Wash 1 cup of rice until the water is clear. Soak it for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the water and set it aside.
- Slice 1 medium onion thinly and slit 1 green chilly as the rice soaks.
- 2 tablespoons ghee, heated in a pressure cooker or a saucepan
- Fry 14 cashews till gently browned, and then whisk in 14 raisins.
- Set them aside in a platter once they’ve plumped up.
- Add onions to the same pan. You can also leave out the onions.
- To create the fried onions/barista, fry them till golden.
- These onions are used to give flavour to the rice and are used as a garnish.
- A step-by-step guide
- Toss in all of the entire spices in the pan and cook for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the green chillies and rinsed rice and cook for 3 to 4 minutes over a medium temperature. Stir constantly to avoid scorching.
- As needed, pour 1¾ cup water and salt.
- Depending on the rice, you may need to add more or less water.
- Check the salt in the water by tasting it. If necessary, add extra.
- Allow the pressure cooker to whistle once at a medium temperature if using one. Cover and simmer at a very low temperature until the rice is done if using a pot.
- When the pressure is released, fluff the rice with a fork lightly.
- Serve Ghee rice in a serving dish or plate.
- Raisins, cashews, fried onions, and coriander leaves can be added as a garnish.
- Ghee rice can be served with gravy, such as curry, kurma, or even egg roast. You can consume it plain as well or make ghee rice with coconut milk.
Advice from the experts
- Use high-quality ghee with a pleasant scent. The rice takes on a distinct aroma thanks to the use of high-quality ghee. Use desi ghee, or at the pure ghee, if possible. Avoid oil at all costs.
- Before cooking ghee rice, always thoroughly rinse the rice. This aids in the removal of excess starch and keeps the rice from becoming mushy.
- Rice soaked for at least 30 minutes before cooking expands well and cooks up to fluffy grains.
- To make ghee rice, different types of rice can be used. It is best prepared with matured basmati rice.
- Another essential step in making ideal ghee rice is to fry rice in ghee for 3 to 5 minutes.
Make this simple ghee rice recipe in easy and simple steps. This is a delicious dish that everyone loves, and you can make it more flavourful by ghee rice recipe with coconut milk. Now enjoy this dish with your loved ones on any occasion.
1. Is it possible to cook the raisins and cashews along with the rice?
Yes, that is possible.
2. What causes my ghee rice to be sticky or mushy?
It’s most likely because you used too much water or the rice was overcooked.
3. Is it possible to make vegetable ghee rice with leftover cooked rice?
Yes, without a doubt. Ghee is heated, and the cashews, raisins, spices, and onions are fried before being added to the rice. Combine all ingredients and serve.