Every Indian must have tasted traditional jeera aloo once cooked at home or in a restaurant. It is a popular Dhaba style side dish enjoyed with hot chapatis, rice, and parathas. The characteristic taste of cumin seeds makes them very delicious. It is incredible to see how just a handful of ingredients can result in a delightful vegetarian dish that leaves an amazing flavour in the mouth. Whether you plan to cook something for your family or wish to provide a royal spread to your guests, aloo jeera is a perfect side dish recipe. It is tantalising in taste and is very easy and quick to make. When cumin is added to hot oil, its aroma permeates the air and creates a heady ambience. Check the aloo jeera recipe and get ready to showcase your culinary skills to your friends and family. If you do not know how to make jeera aloo, read on.
- Main ingredients
Medium-sized Potatoes- 3
Or, baby potatoes- 1.2 kg
Oil- 2-3 tbsp
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
Coriander seeds- ¼ tsp
Whole dried red chillis- 3-4
Finely chopped cilantro- 1 tbsp
Lemon juice- 1 tsp
Dry mango powder- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Green chilis- 2-3
Ginger- ¼ tsp
Turmeric- a pinch
Salt- To taste
Jeera aloo is a very versatile dish that hardly takes a lot of time to cook. Here is how to make aloo jeera fry.
- Thoroughly wash potatoes in a bowl or running water.
- Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker or a pot.
- If using baby potatoes, ensure that it doesn’t get overcooked.
- Use a fork to prick the potatoes and find out if it is cooked.
- Allow them to cool and peel away their skin
- If taking regular potatoes, dice them in bite-sized portions.
- Take oil in a pan and allow it to heat.
- Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add finely chopped ginger and green chilis and stir it continuously.
- When its aroma starts wafting, add a pinch of asafoetida.
- Add all dry spices to it except dry mango powder.
- If you wish, you can also add Kasuri methi at this stage.
- Stir it a little and add some water so that spices get properly cooked.
- When the spice mix gets thickened, add boiled, diced potatoes to it and toss them gently.
- Allow it to cook for a while.
- Add freshly chopped cilantro or coriander leaves to it.
- How to serve jeera aloo?
- You can serve jeera aloo with hot chapatis, parathas, pooris, or rice on a beautiful platter.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle lemon juice to make it more tangy and tempting.
Follow the aloo jeera recipe video to understand the step-by-step instructions.
TinyTips for making Jeera aloo like a pro
- You can go easy on the oil and air fry potatoes if you are health-conscious about reducing oil intake. It will minimise aloo jeera calories.
- You can make this aloo jeera dry recipe with different variations, like adding fenugreek or spinach leaves.
- Reduce aloo chaat calories by reducing the oil used to make this dish. You can fry them in an air fryer and make them a healthy food option for you.
- Add a little water to it to make jeera aloo gravy.
FAQs on Jeera Aloo
- Can I use boiled instead of fried potatoes in this recipe?
Yes, you can use boiled potatoes to reduce aloo jeera calories without hampering its taste and flavour.
- Can I make a gravy version of this recipe?
Yes, you can add a little water to the recipe to make the jeera aloo gravy recipe more delightful.
Use this aloo jeera curry recipe and delight your guests and family with such a simple but tasteful recipe. Jeera aloo is very quick to make a delectable recipe that is sure to be loved by people of all ages.