Masala Khichdi is the ultimate comfort and nutritious food. This is an easy to cook, wholesome and healthy food which Indians like from across the country. It is usually made with mung dal, rice or even broken rice and vegetables. Masala Khichdi is served hot with Dahi (curd) and poppadum. Masala Khichdi can be served for either lunch or dinner and is given to kids, adults, sick patients or anyone who experiences indigestion issues.
Vegetable Masala Khichdi is also known as Masala Dal Khichdi or dal khichdi Masala or Khichdi masala. This is another versatile dish of India with variations that have a regional influence. Masala khichdi can also aid in weight management since it has a high source of protein due to lentils.
If you are wondering how to prepare this simple yet delectable food, follow the masala khichdi recipe mentioned below.
Rice: 1 cup (preferably sona masoori)
Moong Dal: 1 cup
Water: 5 cups (As per the consistency required)
Ghee (Clarified butter): 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds (jeera) – 2 teaspoons
Cardamom (Elaichi) : 4 pods
Cinnamon (Dalchini): 2-3 Inches
Clove (Lavang): 5-6 pieces
Bay Leaf (Tej patta): 2
Asafoetida (Hing): a pinch
Onion: 2 medium-sized, finely chopped
Green Chilly: 2 (slit)
Ginger Paste: 2 teaspoons
Garlic Paste: 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala: 1 teaspoon
Peppercorn: 5 corns
Green Peas: 4 tablespoons
Tomatoes: 2 (finely chopped)
Carrot: 1 (chopped)
Capsicum: 2 medium-sized (chopped)
Potato: 1 medium (chopped)
French Beans- 3-4 tablespoons
Salt to taste: 2 teaspoons
Coriander Leaves: 3 tablespoons
Curry Leaves- 5-6 leaves
- Wash and soak rice and mung dal in water for 30 minutes. After that, drain it and set it aside.
- Chop the vegetables finely and keep them aside
- Take a pressure cooker and put it on medium flame. Put 1 tablespoon of ghee and add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorn, bay leaf, curry leaves, finally a pinch of hing.
- Next step, in the sauted spices, add the chopped onion, green chilly, ginger, and garlic paste to the mix. Once this is cooked, add tomatoes to saute them together.
- Once the above mix gets mushy, add the vegetables (green peas, carrot, capsicum, potato, French beans). Stir all of it together and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Now add chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt to taste. Saute all of it together on low flame
- Finally, add rice and mung dal to the mix. Give it a good stir to cook it for another minute or so. Now pour water and add coriander leaves. Mix them well.
- Put the lid of the pressure cook and pressure cook for 1 whistle on high flame and 2 whistles on medium flame. Masala Khichdi cooking is now complete.
- Add a tablespoon of ghee before serving; Masala Khichdi is now ready to serve.
- Garnish with onion rings, lemon slices to serve it
- Adding vegetables to the Masala Khichdi is optional
- One can prepare the Masala Khichdi without adding onion and garlic to make it vegan.
- One can also add cashew and raisins to make it tastier
- Water can be added to maintain consistency.
- Another variation of the Vegetable Masala Khichdi is the Bhoona (fried) version, comparatively a drier version known as Bhoona Khichdi. In this, the amount of water will be double the quantity of rice and dal.
The Masala Khichdi can be served on its own. However, it can alternately be served with curd, cucumber raita, poppadum, pickle of one’s choice, fritters, potato fries even buttermilk. You can also add chilli pepper to make it a spicy khichdi recipe. Now prepare the best masala khichdi recipe and wow your loved ones.