Welcome home the Indian Masala Omelette, a mouth-watering recipe that is a rousing relief from the plain old omelettes and toast. With the rustic roots of India and the timeless taste of the classic omelettes, the spicy Indian Masala Omelette is undoubtedly going to catch a tight spot on your go-to meal list. Aromatic spices from various states with a dash of vegetables come wonderfully together with the fluffy omelette, leaving your tastebuds to do a joyful dance! A surprising twist to one of the most favourite English breakfast options, the lip-smacking Indian Masala Omelette is not just easy to make but is a happy treat to your stomach.
If you are thinking about how to make masala omelette, worry not, for we have sourced a simple yet rich flavourful masala omelette recipe just for you. Time has come to don the chef’s hat and score easy brownie points (or masala omelette points!) from your guests with this best masala omelette recipe.
How to make a masala omelette?
As mentioned before, this fluffy masala omelette recipe is simple to make and can be whipped in just a few minutes. It is predominantly just how you make the regular omelette, but the spices and vegetables we add take the masala egg omelette a notch higher.
Cuisine and Course:
This masala omelette is an Indian take to the traditional western recipe. It can be consumed for breakfast or even as a mid-day snack to satiate your cravings.
Diet and serving:
This recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free. It serves one but can be doubled to serve two or more.
- To prepare this egg masala omelette, you would need the following ingredients:
Two large eggs at room temperature
1 tbsp of sunflower or vegetable oil (15 ml)
¼ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp garam masala powder
⅛ tsp cumin powder
⅛ tsp turmeric powder
Salt as per taste
2 tbsp of finely chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp of finely chopped capsicum
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tbsp of finely chopped onions
- Preparation for omelette
- Before proceeding to make the egg omelette masala, it is important to prepare a little as follows to gives the allowed time for the spices to blend well with the eggs:
- Take a medium-sized bowl and break the eggs in it.
- Add all the spices as mentioned along with salt as per taste.
- Combine the spices well along with the eggs using a fork or a whisk.
- The Indian masala omelette mixture is ready and keeps aside the mixture.
- Method for making the masala omelette:
- Once you have gathered your ingredients and prepped them, making the masala egg omelette is a cakewalk!
- Take a skillet or a non-stick pan and lightly heat half tbsp of oil for around 30-60 seconds.
- Once the oil is heated, add a clove of crushed garlic, the finely chopped vegetables, and the chopped green chilli.
- Stir fry the vegetables for around 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are soft yet crispy.
- Now, pour the prepared egg mixture into the pan or the skillet, and spread out the veggies evenly before the mixture begins to get cooked.
- Swirl the pan till the masala omelette is cooked underside and then, toss the egg to the other side.
- Add half tbsp of oil from the sides and cook for a minute or two, till the egg is completely cooked until golden-brown.
- Turn off the heat and remove the omelette from the pan. Delicious masala omelette is now ready to be served
- Sprinkle freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve immediately.
How to serve the hot masala egg omelette?
It is best to serve the masala omelette immediately while it is still hot. It can be served with the usual sliced bread toast or buns. For a more authentic Indian feel, you can also eat alongside toasted Indian Ladi pav or even hot Rotis.
Pointers to take your masala omelette to the next level:
- You can also add cheese to this recipe, particularly if you are serving to the kids. You can use processed cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese while cooking for a chewy and cheesy feel.
- For a rich taste, you can also substitute oil with butter in the same quantity.
- Cast iron skillets are the best equipment to use to make these omelettes. If it is not available, you can make it with a non-stick or a well-seasoned regular pan.
- You can use brown eggs and white eggs to make this Indian masala omelette.
Frequently asked questions:
- Can the Indian masala omelette be served to everyone?
The Indian masala omelette can be served to everyone but if you are serving the elderly, toddlers, young children, pregnant women, and unwell people, make sure that the eggs are entirely cooked to avoid indigestion. You may also adjust the spice levels accordingly.
- Can we add other vegetables or spices to this masala egg omelette?
This masala omelette recipe can be easily modified to make it even more delicious. You can add vegetables such as corn, mushrooms, spring onions, and even spinach leaves. Get creative and even infuse with herbs such as oregano, chilly flakes for an Italian fusion.
- Can we add milk to make this recipe?
Although usage of milk is not required in this recipe, you can add a little as per your preferences.
- How many calories are there in this recipe?
In this recipe, the calories in masala omelette are between 250-280 calories.
This masala omelette recipe is easily a game-changer in your cooking journey. This recipe is an ideal example of how a simple recipe can be turned into a scrumptious dish with just a few aromatic spices and fresh vegetables. The depth of flavours and the spice quotient in this desi-styled omelette is enough to help you start your day with a kick.