Masala Pav is the super delicious and tangy street food of dreams, ‘Mumbai’. It is a delectable fast food made of pav or bread rolls carved and then filled with a buttery spiced onion, tomatoes and capsicum filling. Masala pav and pav bhaji’s tastes are almost alike because some ingredients of both dishes are similar, like tomatoes, capsicum, onions and pav bhaji masala powder.
Masala Pav recipe
Cuisine and Course
Indian Street Food; Snacks
- Main Ingredients
1 medium onion or ⅓ cup delicately chopped onion.
2 medium tomatoes or 1 cup subtly chopped tomatoes.
1 medium capsicum or ½ cup finely chopped capsicum.
3 to 4 garlic ½ inch ginger 1 to 2 green chillies – mashed to a paste in a mortar-pestle
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
3 to 4 teaspoon Pav Bhaji Masala add according to the taste
2 tablespoon butter
⅓ cup water
Salt as required
4 to 5 pav, chopped in halves
1 to 2 tablespoons butter for toasting the pav
- For Garnishing
1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
1 small lime or lemon, chopped or quartered
2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- How to Prepare Masala Pav?
- Initially, make portions of the pav and keep them aside.
- Then, wash and subtly cut 1 medium onion, 1 medium capsicum (green bell pepper) and 2 medium tomatoes.
- Mash 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves 1/2 inch ginger 1 to 2 green chillies to a paste in a grout powder and keep them aside.
- How to Prepare Masala for Masala Pav?
- Take a medium or large-sized pan.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Use oil if not butter. Add ½ tablespoon cumin seeds to make them splutter.
- Add garlic and green chillies paste crushed ginger.
- Blend and frizz to make the raw odour of ginger and garlic vanish.
- Add the lightly sliced onions. Mix well. Griddle the onions till they turn clear.
- Add sliced tomatoes. Mix for 3 to 4 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Then add 1/4 tablespoon turmeric powder, 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder and 3 to 4 tablespoon pav bhaji masala.
- Blend the masalas perfectly with the onion-tomato mixture.
- Now add the sliced capsicum and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add salt as needed. Mix well. Add 1/3 cup of water.
- Turn the mixture to a simmer on a low to medium flame. Add water to soften and cook the tomatoes well.
- Reduce as it simmers and thickens the mixture.
- Turn the flame low. Make sure not to leave any liquids in the masala to make the pav dry.
- Keep the masala at one side of the pan, and hereby, the very first preparation of Masala Pav Recipe is finished.
- Cheesy Masala Pav Recipe
- Melt some butter or cheese on the gap in the pan.
- Place the slices of the pav on the butter or cheese and toast them
- Toast each side of the pav. Keep butter or cheese as required.
- Then spread the masala on the pav equally with the spoon, and hereby, the Masala Pav is ready to be served.
- How to Serve Masala Cheese Pav?
- In the same place, melt butter and toast the other pavs and use up all the masala.
- Set the pav on a serving plate.
- Decorate with subtly chopped onions, lemon wedges and coriander leaves.
- Savour the delectable Masala Pav drizzled with lemon juice.
Masala Pav or Masala Cheese Pav is an effortless and mouth-watering snack to prepare for fast food. The Pav Masala Recipe can be increased and holds a great demand as a party snack. In Masala Pav Pieces Recipe, you could easily use 5 to 6 pav buns. The remaining pavs could be made in recipes like Misal Pav, Dabeli and Vada Pav.