In this famous Indian Methi Matar Malai Recipe, pure methi leaves are combined with green peas and creamy sauce to create a delicious, thick, and creamy Matar Malai dish.
Methi Malai Matar – what exactly is it?
This famous Indian Methi Matar Malai Recipe is typically prepared during the winter months when fresh methi (fenugreek) is in season. With methi, green peas, and cream! In India, methi is a winter vegetable (fenugreek). During the chilly winter mornings in Delhi, the hot Methi Mutter Malai recipe with parathas, loaded with extra cream/butter served for breakfast, stands none but heavenly!
Methi Matar Malai isn’t your typical curry. Because of the heavy cream and milk used, this Methi Matar Malai Recipe is a little sweet! However, the tartness of the methi balances out the sweetness. Except for the garam masala at the end, this recipe calls for powdered spices. The pure methi leaves, milk, and cashews give this Matar Methi Malai dish a distinct flavor profile. Follow this methi matar malai recipe restaurant-style to prepare this delicious dish.
Methi Matar Malai Recipe: how to cook it at home?
Course and Cuisine – Curry/North Indian
Diet – Vegetarian
- Masala paste:
Four tsp oil
Two onion, finely sliced
Four chillies with slits
Two tsp ginger-garlic paste
½ cup cashew / Kaju soaked well
- For the curry:
Six tsp oil
Two tsp cumin/jeera
Four cups of fenugreek/methi, fresh and finely chopped.
Two cups of water
One cup of cream
Two cups of green peas / matar (shelled)
One tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garam masala
- How to prepare Methi Matar Malai?
- Make the cumin paste by heating three tbsp oil in a large wok and stirring it until it starts to sizzle.
- Add in the masala paste that has been made and cook till fragrant.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes before removing from heat.
- Add two cups of fenugreek leaves at this point and saute it for a couple of minutes.
- Add one cup of water and ½ cup of fresh cream to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream until it is completely incorporated.
- In the cooking process, add one cup of shelled peas, ½ tbsp sugar, and 3/4th tbsp salt.
- Cook for ten minutes, occasionally stirring, until the peas are cooked through.
- Make any necessary adjustments to the consistency of your curry after it has become creamy.
- Now, add 1/4th tsp garam masala and combine well with the other ingredients.
- Finally, serve with roti or paratha to complete the meal.
Serve Matar Malai Methi Differently!
Serve this classic Indian dish, Methi Matar Malai, with naan, roti, or jeera rice.
Making Methi Matar Malai like a pro
- The fenugreek must be thinly sliced, or else the sauce’s texture will be inconsistent.
- Blanching the fenugreek before adding it to the curry can help avoid the harshness of methi, but it is not required.
- Pour in the crème while keeping the heat on low to avoid clotting.
- The green chilli is responsible for the dish’s spiciness.
- To make this dish vegan, substitute coconut milk for the milk and cream.
- If you use dried fenugreek greens instead of fresh methi, the flavour will not be the same.
Methi Matar Malai Recipe is a mild and creamy North Indian curry dish prepared with fenugreek leaves, peas, and cream is a favourite dinner in North Indian households. Prepare this methi matar malai restaurant-style and take advantage of this is a sweet and delicious dish!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can Methi Matar Malai be made a vegan way?
Leave out the heavy cream from the methi matar malai recipe for a vegan version and replace it with coconut cream.
- What if one wants to replace the frozen peas with fresh green peas?
Yes, one can substitute fresh green peas for the dried ones; cook them until they are soft before adding them. And they can also cook them directly in the dish, but it will take longer than cooking frozen peas.
- What can be done to lessen the bitter flavour of methi if it is very bitter?
When it comes to bitterness, methi is supposed to be mild; however, if you find it too much, try adding salt to methi leaves and letting them sit for 20 minutes before rinsing and pressing out all of the salt. Hopefully, the resentment will lessen.
- Is it necessary to use dried or fresh methi leaves?
Yes, in extreme cases, one may sue, but it is preferable to use the most recent versions of the software available.