Pav Bhaji recipe, this popular Indian street-food snack, is a mixture of blended vegetables cooked in plenty of butter, coriander, and lime juice, and it’s served with egg-free bread rolls (pavs).
Pav bhaji – what exactly is it?
Pav Bhaji is served with a soft burger bun (pav). During their brief stay in Mumbai (then known as Bombay) in the mid-15th century, the Portuguese brought Pav or Pao (bread) from Portugal. During the 1850s, this dish was created by Bombay textile mill workers, as a light lunch was advised. We used ingredients from various diets to make the pav bhaji recipe. Vegetables like potatoes, onion, pea, carrot, and onion are used to make bhaji. Also, the pav bhaji masala is a spicy mix similar to Chaat masala but hotter.
While serving, accompany the bhaji with pav (buttered buns). The pav bhaji masala recipe became popular across India after its debut in Mumbai. Furthermore, it is found in most Indian restaurants overseas too! Now you can make restaurant style pav bhaji or even pav bhaji homemade style by following this Pav bhaji recipe.
Pav bhaji recipe: how to cook it at home?
Course and Cuisine
Mumbai Street-food Snacks
- Pav bhaji recipe has two components: the bhaji as well as the pavs
- Pav Bhaji masala ingredients:
Two tbsp 1 tbsp clarified butter/regular butter
Six tomatoes (diced finely)
0.5 cup peas
One capsicum (diced finely)
Four potatoes (boiled & pounded thoroughly)
Two teaspoon salt
Two teaspoons ¼ tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder / Lal Mirch powder
0.5 teaspoon Turmeric / Haldi
Two teaspoons ½ teaspoon Pav Bhaji Masala (readymade one)
Two teaspoons One teaspoon Kasuri Methi / dry fenugreek leaves
Four tablespoons One tablespoon Cilantro (Dhaniya; Chopped finely)
Two teaspoon – Ginger-Garlic paste
Two Onion – (Medium to large; diced finely)
One lemon juice
Red food colour (Six drops; optional)
Plain Water (for gravy thickness)
- To make toasted pav:
Sixteen pav/bread rolls
Eight teaspoon butter
One teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
One teaspoon pav bhaji masala
Eight teaspoon Cilantro (Dhaniya; chopped finely)
- For garnishing
Lemon – 1 round slice
Cilantro (Dhaniya) – 2-3 heads
Chopped onion- 1 tablespoon
- How to prepare it?
- First, steam the vegetables and keep them ready to use.
- Boil the potatoes and pound them well with a potato mallet.
- How to cook it?
- Melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. The cumin seeds should crackle after the butter has melted.
- Add finely diced onions.
- Brown the onions for about 4 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and cook for 1 minute.
- Cook for 2 minutes with diced tomatoes before serving.
- Add the tomato puree, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the mixture and cook for 5 minutes until fully melted.
- Then, add the pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder (Kashmiri; it is red) and the remaining dash of salt.
- Just before serving, stir in two tablespoons of Kasuri methi.
- Add the cooked veggies.
- Pound with the use of a potato mallet the vegetables and masala until well combined.
- Add the remaining 3/4-1 quart water and mix well.
- Cook covered on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Return 2 tbsp melted butter to the saucepan.
- Add lots of chopped cilantro.
- Add one large lemon extract now. Cook for two minutes more and turn off the heat.
- Toast the pav in the butter. After placing the buns on the pan, season with pav bhaji masala.
- Then press it until it’s crispy and toasty brown on all sides.
- Add chilli peppers to make a spicy pav bhaji recipe.
- How to serve Pav Bhaji uniquely?
- Serve this street style pav bhaji with a spoonful of bhaji on a platter.
- Accompany the bhaji with two toasted pavs, finely diced onions, and a lime slice.
- The entire ‘chat-pata’ dish is a favourite of street-food enthusiasts!
The secrets of cooking best pav bhaji masala or Pav Bhaji like a pro:
- For the pav bhaji recipe, use enough butter and Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) to flavour the dish.
- Garnish the meal with a generous squeeze of lime juice.
- Finely chopped coriander leaves are an excellent garnish for this meal.
- To toast the bread rolls, mix some pav bhaji masala and Kasuri methi into the butter before baking them.
- Keep in mind to garnish this pav bhaji recipe (street cuisine) with finely sliced onions!
This spicy and tangy pav bhaji is the ultimate in street food! Anyone who hasn’t had the opportunity to enjoy it is missing out! Now make this easy pav bhaji recipe in no time.
Pav Bhaji – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- It is possible to make Pav Bhaji that is ‘vegan’?
Yes, swap out the butter for vegan butter, and you’re good to go.
- Pav Bhaji masala is made from what ingredients?
This delicious spice blend combines many whole spices, such as coriander seeds and cumin seeds, with ground spices, such as amchur (dried mango powder), turmeric, and black pepper! Several Indian grocery stores sell pav bhaji masala, and making it at home is just as simple.
- Is Pav Bhaji healthy?
Pav Bhaji isn’t exactly a healthy dish. It’s best to eat this delicious meal in moderation, as it contains potatoes, butter, and bread.
- What kind of Pav bhaji masala should one choose?
People prefer well-known brands for pav bhaji masala. Only a few locally made ones are tasty too.