<strong> </strong>4 servings
Are you looking for a dish to take care of your fast times’ diet woes? Sabudana Khichdi will pass your tests with flying colours. Roasted peanuts with boiled potatoes and Sabudana pearls make it an ideal dish to look for Navratri or Ekadashi Fasting. The Sabudana khichdi, in general, provides the carbs while the peanuts within it give the necessary protein intake. The best part is that all the ingredients are readily available in any household and are permitted to consume at fasting time.
How to Make Sabudana Khichdi?
Once you have a little bit of experience, it is a cakewalk to prepare Sabudana Khichdi. You need to be careful with the soaking time of the Pearls. It will differentiate between a stick and a non-sticky Sabudana Khichdi. The recipe of Sabudana Khichdi is simple. One needs to take care of the preparation steps for making a delicious Sabudana recipe.
One cup sabudana – sago or tapioca pearls, 150 grams
water as required, to soak sago
Two potatoes – medium-sized
½ cup roasted peanuts
8 to 10 curry leaves – optional
one teaspoon grated ginger – optional
one green chilli – chopped
one teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ cup grated fresh coconut – optional
½ to 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional) or as required
Three tablespoons peanut oil or ghee
Rock salt (edible and food grade)
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves – optional
- Wash one cup of Sabudana pearls with running water till all the starch gets washed away. Then, soak the Sabudana in water. The water level should be at least 1 to 1.5 inches above the Sabudana.
- Soak to Sabudana Pearls in water overnight. It will make the Sabudana soft.
- Drain away the water. There should not be any moister left behind. The moisture will make the Sabudana Khichdi mushy.
- Meanwhile, you can boil potatoes in a cooker. In the case of pressure cooking, the water must cover the potatoes. Wait till 4 to 5 whistles on medium flame.
- As the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid. Take out the potatoes and let them cool down. Then peel and chop them.
- In a heated frying pan, add half a cup of peanuts.
- Keeping a medium to low flame, and stir the peanuts. Continue till the surface of the peanut becomes brown or charred. After that close the flame and let the peanut cool.
- Move the peanuts into a blender. Powder the peanuts but make sure that it does not release oil.
- Add common salt as per taste or Sendha Namak if fasting.
- Mix the peanut powder and Sabudhana Pearls thoroughly.
- Heat three tablespoons of peanut oil or ghee in a kadhai. Then add one tablespoon of cumin seeds to it. Let the process continue till it crackle and get browned. Then add 1 chopped green chilli. Continue frying in a low to medium flame.
- After two minutes add the chopped boiled potatoes.
- Mix for two minutes on medium to low flame. Then add the Sabudana peanut powder mixture. Stir continuously for approx 4 to 6 minutes.
- Do not overcook. Turn off the knob once cooked.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice as per taste. You can also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves.
- Note: To make a spicy Sabudana Khichdi you can add onion,garam masala, and red chilly powder.
Sabudana Khichdi is well known for its high calorie and starch content. They are also the source of essential nutrients such as vitamin B, calcium, and antioxidants. They aid in digestion and provide energy. The recipe of the Sabudana Khichdi may vary as per the taste preferences and regional variations. Also, the number of potatoes can be lowered to make it a low-calorie Sabudana Khichdi.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Does Sabudana Khichdi have any side effects?
Regular consumption of Sabudana Khichdi may result in disorders like bloating and constipation.
2. Can the Sabudana Khichdi recipe help in weight loss?
You can prepare low-calorie Sabudana Khichdi. Through this, Sabudana Khichdi for weight loss can be efficient.
3. What are the health benefits of Sabudana Khichdi?
The Sabudana Khichdi consists of antioxidants and is rich in protein. It aids in proper lung functioning and muscle growth.